Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Wine, Chinese Food and Sweet Tea - What a Combo!

Have you ever been so busy that you sit down and wonder where the days have all gone and if you even managed to sleep at all during them? That's been my last week, but thankfully, things are settling down a little bit and I can now catch you up on my adventures in the Hill Country!

So, let's start with Girl's Night last week. New Braunfels is such a great place with so many wonderful little places to go to just relax. Last Wednesday, I met a couple friends, Tina and Gretchen, for drinks at Kork.

Kork is an AMAZING wine bar in downtown NB. It meets my 3 Cs mentioned before so you know I definitely love it. Everything about Kork is nice from the fantastic wine selections to the friendly service to comfortable furniture and great bands that perform on the weekends. Kork has everything you would ever want in a place to just chill out.

Anyway, the girls and I met there and enjoyed the ambiance (and the little discount we received for checking in at Kork on Facebook) and some much needed chat time over glasses of wine. If you happen to visit Kork during the summer months, I strongly recommend you try the Sweet Pea Apple Wine - it's a nice breath of fresh air on a hot day. I am normally not a white wine person, but the Apple Wine is positively delightful.

Well, after awhile of chatting and a glass of wine, we moved onto dinner at China Kitchen, a good little Chinese restaurant near Hobby Lobby on IH-35. It's completely without frills and NOT a buffet. I am strongly against buffets so I will never include them in my reviews. Ok, I am off my soapbox. haha

China Kitchen offers a diverse menu at very reasonable prices and with their fast, efficient service and quality food, they are a nice place to stop for a quick bite to eat.  After our speedy dinner, Tina and I decided to visit another favorite haunt of ours - 2Tarts Bakery in downtown NB.

Bakeries are dangerous places to go anytime of day if you are trying to stick with a diet, but 2Tarts is a different kind of bakery...in addition to being the only bakery in town open late - 10PM weekdays and midnight on the weekends - they also offer a variety of confections for everyone's tastes including a wide array of teas.

Tina and I love heading over to 2Tarts for a pot of tea and good conversation. Our favorite right now is the Sweet Desert Delight. It's hard to even describe but for tea drinkers, you do not have to add sugar or anything to this blend. It is perfect as is - a definite delight. There are several others though and I am sure, like the many other things 2Tarts offers, we will get around to trying them and give you a full report. We might even get daring and try the lunch one day...oooh, aren't we rebels?

Overall, it was a busy night, but so worth it to be able to catch up with some great friends. So, the next time you are in New Braunfels, be sure to get Korked, grab some Chinese and have a Tart or 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment